Child and Recreation Programme

The programme is intended for students who wish to work with children, young people or adults. You learn about people of different ages and with different preconditions. You can start working immediately after you finish your programme, or continue your studies in vocational higher education. You can also choose to study other courses if you want to be eligible for further studies in higher education.

Illustrerar barn- och fritidsprogrammet på olika språk på vägledningswebben

The Child and Recreation Programme is a vocational programme that leads to a vocational diploma.

Three different orientations

Recreation and health

  • You learn about recreation, health and healthcare. The orientation enables you to work in e.g. swimming complexes, sports and recreational facilities or as a personal trainer.

Pedagogical work

  • You learn about the learning and growth of children and youth.The orientation enables you to work as e.g. a child minder or pupil assistant.

Social work

  • You learn how to deal with people indifferentsituationsandhowtoprovide good support and service. The orientation enables you to work as e.g. a security guard, personal assistant or providing support and service in the functional disability area.

This is what you learn from the programme

You learn about people’s learning and growth, cooperation and communication. You develop your skills enabling you to cooperate with other people and develop your sensitivity to their needs. You get an understanding about how people live together and the opportunities they have to develop. You learn about health and the working environment.

Great emphasis is attached in the programme to ethics, democratic values and human rights.

How the programme is organised

In the vocational programmes, the foundation subjects are: English, history, physical education and health, mathematics, natural sciences, religion, social studies, and Swedish or Swedish as a second language. In the vocational programmes, you study more vocational subjects – subjects specific to the programme – and fewer of the subjects you studied in compulsory school.

The programme specific subjects are: Health, science, pedagogy, social studies, and Swedish or Swedish as a second language.

You get the opportunity to specialise and further broaden your knowledge in the programme. This is referred to as ”programme specialisation”. Check with the school to find out what specialisation courses it offers.

You also have an individual option where you can choose what you want to study. Ask the school what courses it provides.

Working approaches

The programme is based on tasks that you solve either on your own or together with others. You develop your ability to take initiatives and be creative, and learn more about the opportunities to run your own business. You develop skills in planning, carrying out and documenting the work.

Diploma project

Towards the end of the Child and Recreation Programme, you complete a diploma project in your chosen vocational area. You can then show that you have the knowledge needed to start working in the area related to your education.

Workplace-based learning

Parts of the education take place at one or several workplaces for a period of at least 15 weeks and are referred to as workplace-based learning (APL). This is an important component of the education. APL gives you the experience and contacts that can be useful when you’re applying for a job.

Apprenticeship education

If the school provides upper secondary apprenticeship education in the programme, you can choose this. You get the same knowledge but do at least half of your education at one or several workplaces.

Some points to think about

If you want to be eligible for higher education, it is important that you plan your studies in advance. In the individual option, and if the school provides this in the programme specialisations, you can choose to study the courses needed to

obtain basic eligibility for higher education. These courses are Swedish or Swedish as a second language, and a course in English. Talk to your study and vocational guidance counsellor if you want to continue your studies.

You always have the right to choose another course in physical education and health, and an aesthetic course in the individual option.

Hjälpte informationen på den här sidan dig?
Senast uppdaterad 27 mars 2020